Monday, February 12, 2007

Contemplations #241
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Romans 12:14

The will and love of God is captured in this simple and yet profound statement. Should we want to know what it means to be Christian, a person close to God, this instruction is sufficient on its own to reveal godliness to us. Jesus' blessing, forgive them for they do not know what they are doing, is a perfect expression of this love of God. If we are to bless even those who persecute us, who is not to be blessed? By showing us that we should pray goodness on our most vile enemies, those most opposed to us, we know that the same should be given to all who are closer. None may omitted from our love in God.

Contemplations #242
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Romans 12:14

Many are willing to pray for their enemies and those who persecute them. They pray that these wicked people might come to their senses, that they might come to know God. They pray for their conversion. This is good work, but it falls short of what Paul is saying. To pray that my enemy will stop being my enemy is not the same as praying for blessing for my adversary. The first prayer is still for me and what would benefit me, but I am to pray for what would benefit my persecutors. Sure, their conversion who benefit them, but let me pray for their blessing right now even while they are my enemies. Absolutely unthinkable, if I am in God and his love in me, should I wish for the destruction of my enemies.

Contemplations #243
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Romans 12:14

We are always overwhelmed by the apparent impossibility of learning to truly love our enemies. To bless those who hurt us, and to not curse them, seems more than we can hope to achieve. And yet, we are not considering the burden and cost of living with hate. Greater is the cost of anger, bitterness, cursing, and opposition than simply turning to God's love. Little else consumes us like hate. There is a transcendent freedom in love, to bless every person without respect to their conduct toward me, whether it be good or evil. What is truly impossible, though we do not perceive it, is living in constant anger and cursing. Such living keeps us far from God and his peace.