Monday, August 29, 2005

Contemplation #34
François Fénelon, from Letter 28 of Forty Spiritual Letters (1651 – 1715)
Please understand about love. I am not asking from you a love which is tender and emotional. All I ask is that your will should lean towards love, that you should make up your mind to love God, regardless of your feelings. And no matter what corrupt desires you should find in your heart, if you will make a decision to love God more than self and the whole world, he will be pleased.

Contemplation #35
Deuteronomy 30:19-20 RSV
“Choose life, that you and your descendants may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice, and cleaving to him; for that means life to you.”

Bernard of Clairvaux (1090-1153)
The reason for loving God is God himself and how he should be loved is to love him without limit

Contemplation #36
Madame Guyon (1648-1717)
I love my God, but with no love of mine
For I have none to give;
I love Thee, Lord, but all that love is Thine,
For by Thy life I live.
I am as nothing, and rejoice to be
Emptied and lost and swallowed up in Thee.